FAQ about working and swiss labours laws


Before you begin working in Switzerland

During your employment

Questions regarding Swiss labour laws

Termination of the employment contract

Before you begin working in Switzerland

Which permit do I need?

Registration procedure
You do not need a special work permit if you’re only working in Switzerland for a maximum of 90 days. If you are employed by Experis AG, we will register your employment with the State Secretariat for Migration using the online registration procedure.

G-Permit (cross-border commuter permit): 
Are for foreigners living in a border zone but are working in Switzerland. If you are a G-permit holder, you must return to your main place of residence outside of Switzerland at least once a week. Once employed by Experis AG, please send an email to: backoffice@experis.ch so that we can apply for a G-permit on your behalf.

L-Permit (short-term residence permit): 
For employment contracts lasting more than 90 days up to 12 months, you will need a short-term permit. To apply for your permit, you must register at your local commune (town hall) within the first 14 days of arriving in Switzerland. Your permit is valid for the duration of your employment contract.

B-Permit (residence permit): 
If you’re planning to live and work in Switzerland for more than one year, you will need a B-permit. To apply for your permit, you must register at your local commune (town hall) within the first 14 days of arriving in Switzerland. 
Typically, a B permit is valid for 5 years and can be extended provided that the duration of your employment contract is unlimited.

C-Permit (settlement permit): 
C-permits are valid for an indefinite length of time and allows permit holders to change employers and move cantons freely. You can normally apply for a C-permit after living in Switzerland for about 10 years and can demonstrate that you have successfully integrated with the community.

How long will it take until I receive my work permit?
From the time you apply, the whole process may take 2-6 weeks until you receive your permit. To bridge the gap until your permit arrives, please ask your local commune (town hall) for a certificate of registration.

Where can I apply for a work permit?
You can apply for a work permit at your local commune (town hall). It is mandatory to register and apply for your work permit in-person within 14 days of your arrival.

What documents do I need to apply for a work permit?
- Valid passport 
- Copy of your work contract
- Copy of your rental agreement or confirmation of your sublease
- 2 Passport-size photos
Please check your local commune’s website to check if there are additional documents required.

Does my permit entitle my family to join me in Switzerland?
To find out if you are entitled to apply for family reunification, visit the links below: 
- https://www.ch.ch/en/family-reunification

How can I open a bank account?
You are able to open a bank account as soon as you have a valid work permit or certificate of registration. To open a bank account, you will need: 
Residence permit/certificate of registration
Please check each bank’s website for information regarding any additional documents you might need.

How can I get an apartment in Switzerland?
You can use the links below to find available apartments. We would be more than happy to provide you with a reference letter to support your application. 
- https://www.citystay.ch/en/
- http://www.visionapartments.com/
- https://www.glandon-apartments.com/
- http://www.homegate.ch/en

What is my tax rate? 
Comparis provides handy tax and witholding tax calculators.

Do I have to pay for health insurance? 
It is obligatory for everyone who lives or work in Switzerland to have health insurance, regardless of your nationality. For more information and a comparison of Swiss health insurance companies, visit on of the links below: 
- Comparis 
- https://www.ch.ch/en/health-insurance/

During your employment

When should I contact Experis AG? 
Always contact Experis AG if there are changes regarding your personal information or situation.

Questions regarding Swiss labour laws

What is GAV (Gesamtarbeitsvertrag) and what does it cover?
GAV is the new collective bargaining agreement for temporary/contingent workers which came into effect on 1st January 2012. The agreement provides a comprehensive framework that covers such matters as minimum wage, holiday pay, terminations procedures and paid leave for illness or maternity.
You can find further information about GAV here.

Will I get paid when I am on holiday?
All public holidays are already included in the gross wage rate. However, 1st of August is paid out separately if the holidays falls on a normal working day. 
Experis AG pays all contractors a vacation allowance which is equal to 8.33% of your basic salary. This entitles you to 4 weeks of holidays each year. All workers up to 20 years of age and those over-50 are entitled to increased holiday compensation, equating to 5 weeks per year or 10.64% of the salary.

When do I receive my holiday compensation?
The holiday compensation can only be paid when you take a holiday. Any unused holiday allowance can only be paid in the event that the employment contract is terminated.

What social security contributions are deducted from my salary? 
In Switzerland, social security contributions are deducted directly from your salary. The following are mandatory social insurance which both employee and employers contribute to:


  Old-age and survivor’s insurance


  Disability insurance


 Income compensation allowance



  Unemployment insurance

  Annual salary up to a limit of CHF 148'200 


  Solidarity contribution

  Annual salary above CHF 148'200


Non-occupational accident insurance

  Annual salary up to a limit of CHF 148'200


  Sickness pay

  Annual salary up to a limit of CHF 300'000


  Pension Fund

  Threshold (21'150.-)


  Collective Labour Agreement

  Annual salary up to a limit of CHF 148'200

These social security contributions are mandatory.

Which pension fund am I connected to and can I change them?
The pension fund of Experis AG is AXA Winterthur. A change of the pension fund is not possible.

How are the pension fund contributions calculated?
The contributions are calculated by the pension fund. Decisive for this is the annual gross income, civil status, etc. Further information can be found on the AXA Winterthur website.

When are pension funds required?
Occupational benefits are compulsory for employees insured with the AHV who earn more than CHF 21,150.00 per year (or more than CHF 1762.50 per month). The contributions are borne 50% by the employee and 50% by the employer.

What insurance benefits do I have?
The daily sickness benefit insurance includes ongoing wage payments in the event of illness up to 80% of the insured gross salary of CHF 25,000.00 per month. The duration of benefits is 730 days less a waiting period of 30 days.

The non-occupational accident insurance covers the hospital stay (general ward), outpatient treatment, prescribed medication as well as modified aftercare and hydrotherapy treatments in the event of an accident. The salary is 80% of the insured gross salary. Only employees with a workload of more than 8 hours per week are insured.

Termination of the employment contract

What happens to my pension funds?
At the end of the employment relationship, you will be asked to provide us with the details of the new employer's pension fund. If you do not have a new employer, you must open a vested benefits account with your bank so that we can transfer the pension fund benefits there. If we do not receive any information, your pension fund credit will be transferred to a vested benefits account with the Rendita Vested Benefits Foundation, which will be opened for you.

When will I receive my salary statement?
The salary statement will be created and sent by the end of January of the following year.

When and where do I have to deregister if I leave Switzerland?
If you are leaving Switzerland, you have to deregister from the municipality of your place of residence. This applies even if you move, you have to deregister from your commune of your old residence and register at your new residence.