Senior Linux Server Engineer
Senior Linux Server Engineer
Experis IT is Europe's leading IT recruitment agency. With operations in over 50 countries and offices in Zurich, Basel, Geneva and Lausanne, we will leverage our extensive client network to help you accelerate your career in Switzerland.
On behalf of our client, a leading company in the financial sector, we are looking for a Senior Linux Server Engineer. For this contracting position in Basel, our client is looking for an English-speaking candidate who can start as soon as possible. Are you a passionate person with proven infrastructure operations experience, who is looking for a new and exciting challenge? If yes, then please have a look at the details below:
What you can expect:
Primary responsibility is to ensure best practice implementation of core server and infrastructure application technologies. To manage and evolve the existing technologies within sphere of responsibility to ensure a secure, supportable and highly available environment. Responsible for providing a stable infrastructure, network, database and infrastructure application environment for a range of applications as assigned. Additional responsibility is to ensure the maintenance and operations of the corporate backup platform. The technologies involved are located across two remote data centres (in Zurich and Basel) with extensions to regional offices.
Infrastructure Application Services
To support and maintain business-critical infrastructure applications and their dependencies as assigned. This includes involvement in developing forward-thinking processes ensuring the reliability and suitability to business of these applications across various industry-leading hardware technologies. Requirement to be flexible and have a desire to learn new technologies as the role requires. Strong knowledge required of industry best practices for the systems being supported.
Leads (tests, coordinates and implements) changes related to new releases or design changes to the environment, in cooperation with other internal teams and external service providers.
Provides On Call support on a weekly basis.
Operational Backup and Restore Activities
The ideal candidate in the area of B&R will be:
- Experienced as a Backup Administrator for Multiple OS platforms and Databases
- Expereinced with Avamar, Veeam, or preferably Networker (as admin users)
- Experienced with DataDomain (as an admin user)
- Vsphere Admin user comfortable with snapshots and backup proxy integrations
- Comfortable being a key go to member of the team for B&R activities/support across all platforms
- Able to proactively improve the B&R environment via automation.
- Any cloud backup experince such as Exchange Online or Office 365 would be a plus
What they expect from you:
- Broad understanding of IT best practice and its application in a business environment
- Sound understanding of latest trends in technology, customer and vendor management.
- Practical experience of participating in IT initiatives.
- Excellent customer management skills.
- An understanding of and an ability to follow change management procedures
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, drive and enthusiasm.
- Ability to actively work to support culture change initiatives and tackle cultural barriers.
- Good overall knowledge of the dependencies and how they interact, e.g. with regard to the technologies involved in core server, networking, database and application technologies
- Ability to provide third-level support and design input in an enterprise environment.
- Readiness to work outside normal working hours during service windows and to provide on-call cover for evenings and weekend.
- Fluent in English (oral and written), with a second language (German, French or Italian) desirable.
The core technical requirements are as follow:
- Good knowledge in backup solutions ideally Avamar or NetWorker
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems administration experience
- Systems management & provisioning using Red Hat Satellite 6 and Capsules
- Knowledge in Ansible or Ansible Tower is a plus
- Systems monitoring, ideally Nagios and Prometheus
- Scripting, ideally Python and Perl
- Graduate diploma or degree or equivalent in a relevant technical discipline and/or relevant qualification in IT.
- At least five years' work experience.
- Red Hat Certified Professional
Duration: 1 year, with high possibility of extension (multiple years)
Interested in this opportunity? Kindly send us your CV today through the link in the advert. However, should you have any questions please contact Virginia Belli Colon on +41 61 282 22 10
Even though this position may not be the perfect fit for you, please reach out to us, as we have hundreds of open positions at Experis IT across Switzerland.
You can find more interesting IT roles in Switzerland here: https://www.experis.ch/it-jobs-in-switzerland